Friday, August 7, 2009

BONUS SONNET: FRIDAY FLASH FICTION: The Bartender And The Babe

Mojitos were the lady's drink of choice.
Pepito's job, to make them up and serve.
But there was something 'bout the lady's voice
Vibrating in his ears, that stirred each nerve.
And so of course he wound up in her room,
With memories he thought he'd long recall:
Her kisses and her sighs, her strange perfume,
And smooth and fluid moves. He was in thrall.
Then suddenly the earth began to move
(Again, he might have snickered to himself)
And she came from the bathroom, and said "You've
Just joined my crew: your spacesuit's on the shelf."
And what he'd thought were lovely silver tights
Proved her real legs. 'Twas just one of those nights.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you. As I said on Twitter, sort of an encapsulation of a much longer piece I'm working on (in ottava rima!). It shall be called "The Inter-Stellar Feller"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful rhyme and humor. Welcome to #fridayflash. It's always nice to have new voices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! How do you do that? I spent weeks trying to write a sonnet once!

    That's wonderful, thanks for sharing, and welcome to #fridayflash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to #fridayflash, I love the ending the most, it brought out a heavy sigh. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful application of the sonnet form - you got it all, humor, science fiction, poetry and a reversal at the end.

    I'm with battypip - How do you do that?

    Thank you for the delicious read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! Stay tuned, everybody. It won't be flash, but it will be (science) fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the change of pace from the other #fridayflash pieces that a bit of poetry provided. Interesting taster to your longer work. Welcome aboard the #fridayflash express.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For those amazed that it's a sonnet -- I have been writing at least one a day for this entire year! Practice has drilled the craft into me pretty severely. My first sonnets in January are poor stuff indeed, as I discovered when I read one on my podcast this week.

    This won't be my last #FridayFlash sonnet. This was GREAT fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very cool! I can't wait to read more :-)
    ~2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Yes, Kate also has a weekly podcast called KateofMind. Check it out on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too enjoyed the change of pace - a sonnet for the #fridayflash. This was light and wimsical, and brought a smile to me. Loved it.

    Welcome to the #fridayflash. Nice to hear you'll be back.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  12. "And what he'd thought were lovely silver tights Proved her real legs."

    I just love that.

    Welcome to the #FridayFlash.

    ReplyDelete

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers