Friday, September 11, 2009

In Which I Endure A Little Culture Shock

My dad needed a Stetson cover for
His cowboy hat in case tomorrow's game
Is rainy. So we went down to a store
That I should have known, just from its mere name
Would shock me. At the Boot Barn I went blind
From flashing glare off th'encrusted bling
Of Christian cowgirl belts, hung up, aligned
For maximum impact. So here's the thing:
Who wears such things, and for what kind of date
Are crosses made of rhinestones round one's waist
Sartorially most appropriate?
I know full well the question is of taste,
But wonder, too, what strange new form of prayer
Takes such a form, and really, why I care.

3 comments:

  1. Why, thank you! My eyes are still dazzled. I just wish I'd had a camera on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm even more certain that I have no reason to enter the Boot Barn. Enjoyed the sonnet, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers