Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In Which I Watch A Strange Convention From The Sidelines (And No, It Is Not Bacon-Con)

I really just don't understand the birds!
Cheyenne's entire population of
American Tree sparrows, or two-thirds
Of it at least, are, for all love,
Now congregated tight in my backyard.
What's drawn them here to me? I cannot guess.
I simply watch them hopping, jostling hard
Against each other in the grass -- unless
The brand-new chilliness has caused
A mass die-off of insects? Winter's change
Makes these birds switch from bugs to seeds. I've paused
Now in this writing because something strange
Just happened: they've all flown up to my fence,
Then flown back to my lawn again. What sense?

2 comments:

  1. Was Molly afraid of them? Did you take any pictures???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely, Molly never noticed them. It was not during one of her outdoor soujourns, natch. Every time I tried to photograph them, they flew up onto my fence.

    I do think they were just feasting on the dead insects in the weeds/grass. I hold out no hope for them also helping themselves to the copious droppings left by Erin-Go-Braless' TWO insane labs.

    ReplyDelete

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers