Tuesday, June 15, 2010

In Which I Try Not To Fry

So cloudless, clear, with nothing but contrails
To blemish all that blue -- it's fine, but fierce.
A searing sun at altitude ne'er fails
To pin me to the pavement. How the pierce
Of rays so pitiless doth wound; I wince
To think of it, well knowing that the thick
And sticky layer of sunscreen I've long since
Applied will not avail me much. I kick
And pedal powerfully for cover. Can
I make it much more quickly to the shade
Than I would were it raining? I don't tan
But burn, quite badly; it does not soon fade,
The pain or redness. Pale and weak am I,
Who scuttles, scared, beneath the scorching sky.

2 comments:

  1. I love it, Kate. That's just how most of us here in Oregon feel about that demon-spawned ball of fire that burns in the sky--but I'm sure you knew that already. :)

    I think "Pale and weak am I, / Who scuttles, scared, beneath the scorching sky." is going to go down in history as one of the great and memorable poetic lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Travis! I am rather more proud of this one than most, I must admit.

    ReplyDelete

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers