Friday, October 23, 2009

In Which I Discover That Chess Is Good Medicine

I took a duck right to the face today
At two hundred fifty knots, as the meme goes.
My throat's new lump just will not go away,
My heart feels like it's taken thirty blows
From someone's mallet. But a game of chess
Long distance, over slow and thoughtful time
Has proved a worthy cure for my distress,
Reminding me I've partners yet in crime,
E'en though my dear Mac Tonnies cannot be
Among their number anymore. Each move
Captures my thoughts, attention, makes me see
More possibilities and does much to improve
My frame of mind, to have it well-engaged.
Thanks to my friend for this small war we've waged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers