Thursday, July 8, 2010

In Which Destruction Looms Complete



My love for beetles may not quite exceed
The love of Haldane's god for them, but might
Were they not also party to a deed
That haunts me with ill dreams in darkest night:
My fav'rite place on earth is dying fast.
Unlogged, unburnt (that part's our fault), it serves
Now as a beetle banquet. In the past
The trees stood green and tall, now -- this unnerves
Me vastly; red and dead, awaiting fire,
E'en as the barkies thrive, twig beetles join
The party
. They'll kill off the rest entire;
Then fire will finish. We have now no coin
With which to bargain. Ah, my Snowy Range.
We have destroyed what we tried not to change.

3 comments:

  1. Sniff, sniff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, sis! Did you read the article I linked to? We're supposed, I guess, to be glad that the twig beetles won't be there long because there aren't that many living trees left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most beautiful places on earth, disappearing before our eyes. YODPM

    ReplyDelete

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers