Thursday, March 18, 2010

In Which A Sonneteer Looks At Forty

As ages go, there seems true magic here:
So many folk have told me how they wish
They could be forty, so it's without fear
I face it now, no longer thirty-ish.
The baby boomers all like to declare
Their current age as "the new forty", so
'Twould seem I'd best get used to being where
I am right now; there's nowhere left to go!
My schoolfellows of old all liked to quip
That I had been born forty, which would make
Me eighty now. It's really no mean trick
To look this good at eighty, no mistake!
But soon enough all will be redefined
And I'll be back to twenty. I don't mind.

2 comments:

  1. You've got the right idea! From here on the clock runs backward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, so I have eighty years to go? That sounds like a good run ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers